…until the MTV Video Music Awards! Love ‘em or loathe ‘em, there’s always something to talk about at the VMAs – and we’ve been discussing them now for (if I’m counting correctly, which I believe I am) 29 years! Rock on, Moon Man!
This year’s show promises to be as full of excitement as it has been in previous years – scheduled performers include: Rihanna, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Frank Ocean, Taylor Swift, Green Day, P!nk, Alicia Keys and One Direction…and a slew of famous presenters.
The VMAs have always had some memorable moments – in no particular order, here are some of my absolute favorites and things that had the tongues wagging:
1) Lady Gaga – The bloody Paparazzi (2009)
2) Madonna/Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera – The phoniest kisses of all time (2003)
3) Kanye West and Taylor Swift – The Stupidest Thing EVER (2009)
4) Madonna – Like A Virgin (1984)
5) Madonna – Vogue (1990)
6) Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley – The kiss (okay, okay…maybe Madonna/Britney/Christina were the SECOND phoniest kiss of all time!) (1994)
7) Martha Stewart and Busta Rhymes – CoPresenters (1997)
8) L’il Kim and Diana Ross – Juggling (1999)
9) Eminem – One of the most epic performances of ALL time (2000)
10) Britney Spears – Snake Charmer (2001)
11) Green Day – Kicks ass and takes names (2005)
12) Beyonce – Put A Ring On It (and put some shoes on yo’feet, sistah!) (2009)
13) Pink – Sober…and on a trapeze! (2009) ** So awesome I can hardly stand myself!**
14) Lady Gaga – and the Meat Dress! (2010)
15) Bruno Mars – Lovely tribute to Amy Winehouse with Valerie (2011)
Interesting sidebar to this VMA story – in 1990, I was in California for the month of August for my cousin’s wedding (she got married on September 9, 1990 – I was a bridesmaid), and a few of us went and got in line at Universal Studies the day of the VMAs to try to get tickets. While we were waiting in the never-ending line, we ended up beside the trailers of a few big names, including Sinead O’Connor, U2, and 2 Live Crew…Sinead came out of her trailer a few different times while we were waiting (I was there for ages), and while we saw Madonna’s trailer, the Madge-ster did not make an appearance. Boo! Hiss! As we neared the front of the line, the worst thing imaginable happened – the last tickets went to the person in front of me. No kidding. I was absolutely gutted – and so, me being me, I tried to make that dude a deal and started attempting to barter with him for those tickets. Needless to say, I wasn’t successful (I was 16 years old and didn’t have much of value to offer), so instead we finished our day at Universal Studios and went back to my cousin’s new in-laws place to watch the show. This was the year of the famous Madonna “Vogue” performance…and I was ALMOST there. Sad. Face.
Do you have a dream list of concerts that you want to see during your lifetime? I sure do. For the longest time, my list included Madonna, but…I think that ship has sadly sailed. Her hijinks and tomfoolery on this latest tour have left me with such a bad taste in my mouth – it’s too bad, as she was ALWAYS one of my favorites. Oh well…I think I’ll just go back and watch some of her old concert footage and call it a day. Some of the others that are still on my list include: the Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Lady Gaga (I can’t even imagine how fabulous that show would be – and, goodness…what would I wear??! ), Bruce Springsteen, Pink, and Coldplay…there’s more. :) I have seen so many great artists over the years, and I absolutely LOVE live music!! (I really do need to sit down and write a post about my favorite concerts of all time, and my mom’s interesting connection with some of those shows – I’ll do that this week, they make some pretty great stories!) :)
Are you planning to watch the VMAs tomorrow night? How do you watch – at home alone, with friends, or out somewhere? I’ll be watching at home alone in San Antonio, cocktail in hand, and wearing some fabulous shoes…because a girl must always look her best!